Tuesday, November 2, 2010

well, here i am again being a bad blogger. yes, a lot has happened since i last wrote. let’s see. . . in june, my mom and sister came to visit and we took a little trip around mexico. we went down to queretero, which is where a lot events of mexican independence took place – I don’t remember them all now – as well as the place where maximillian (the austrian emporeror) was executed. we also visited teotihuacan, the pyramids outside of mexico city. very cool. we climbed to the top of the pyramid of the sun, and i got interviewed by some mexican high schoolers looking for someone to interview in english. probably a school assignment. on our way back, we stopped in san miguel de allende – my third time there. i think my mom and my sister really enjoyed their time here.

the rest of the summer was pretty uneventful, with the exception that i procured another job, which makes three now. this job is at a bilingual high school. i’m teaching a u.s. history class to seniors and a social sciences class to freshmen in english. i feel pretty unprepared for the social sciences class, but I think i’m managing to fool my students. there are 30 students in that class, and they can never manage to be quiet for more than a minute at a time, which sometimes drives me crazy. here i am teaching high school when i decided 10 years ago that i really didn’t want to be a high school teacher. a lot of my time now is spent driving between my three different schools. amazingly, I haven’t yet gone to the wrong school, even though my schedule is pretty crazy. i do like teaching the u.s. history class, although i also feel at a loss, even though i majored in history in college. it’s like history on crack, since it’s only one semester. right now, we are finishing up the civil war, and i have a little over a month left. i am going to have to speed through the rest of the 19th and 20th centuries. “ok, we won ww1, we had a great depression, we won ww2, there was a war in korea, the beatles came to america, there were the hippies, we lost vietnam, reagan got shot, bill clinton screwed an intern, the twin towers got blown up, and we elected a black president.” There you go.

in september, i drove up to san antonio, texas for my friends, rex and lee’s wedding, which was really great. it was so fun to see old friends, and i had more fun at their wedding than i’ve had at any wedding, i think. i also got a flat tire, but thankfully, my friends doug and dalton and some stranger walking by managed to change it for me.

also in september, i moved out of my cousins’ house and into a little apartment. it’s really small and not the best apartment in the world, but it’s nice to have my own place and feel like an adult again.

i think those are the highlights of the last five months. i am really looking forward to going home to see my family for christmas. and i have to renew my visa again soon, as it’s going to expire in cecember.

no school today, since it is dia de los muertos (day of the dead), so i need to go run some errands. Hope everyone is doing well. look for another post from me in the next 6 months. . . adios!

1 comment:

  1. yeah...that's fantastic...i want to know about the man in your facebook photos....was that to the point enough for you?

    ReplyDelete