Thursday, October 1, 2009

vaya con dios

i really should be scrounging around my mother's attic looking for my high school diploma. i certainly hope it's up there somewhere. i need it in order to get a work visa in mexico. you'd think a college diploma would trump a high school one, but i guess in mexico, it isn't so.

by now, i think most of you know that i'm moving to mexico. saltillo, coahuila, mexico to be exact. yes, it was a quick decision. but i think a good one. in august, i went with my grandmother to visit our mexican cousins. quick little family history: my grandmother was born in saltillo, mexico in 1929. her dad was an engineer and moved with his wife down there. their 2 eldest children were born in texas, but my grandmother was born in mexico because they wanted to own property. so she was born there and the property was put in her name. her brother stayed in mexico and raised 4 kids there. 2 of his sons still live there. they married mexican women and raised their own children. it's these cousins that we went to visit in august. i had never even met them before, but by the end of our visit, they suggested that i come and live with them. surely, i could easily get a job teaching english.

so a month and a half later, that's what i'm doing. i'm leaving on sunday. i got a job teaching english at a language school. do i speak spanish? poquito. but i'm excited to learn.

i spent alot of the last month scrambling -- trying to find someone to take my place in the apartment, figuring out what to do with my car. god really worked out so many of the details. and i am so grateful to marsha and laura, my amazing roommates in dc who were so great to just let me pick up and leave so quickly (after only living there for 2 months) and were so supportive.

i don't know what it is about me that keeps me moving. i can't seem to stay in the same place for long. i lived in dc/maryland for over five years, but i must have moved about 8 times in those 5 years. it's kind of odd because i'm not a person who naturally embraces change, but i've decided that as much as i dislike change, i dislike stagnation more. i've packed up my car more times than i can remember. and i guess that's ok. i don't have any debt, no kids, nothing really much to tie me down. i'm definitely going to miss dc -- it's an amazing city -- but i'm looking forward to the adventures that god has for me in mexico.

i guess i'd better go find my high school diploma. keep checking back to hear all of my adventures and the many social faux pas that are sure to come.

adios!

4 comments:

  1. you definitely have my prayers and support. and whenever you want to hang out, i'm just...8 or so hours away. that's nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I'm proud of you Kins. You made a bold and exciting choice. I hope you have a world of amazing experiences and I'm going to be right here, along for the ride, cheering you on. Just know, that if you fall in love down there with a Mexican hottie, you gotta have some sort of wedding in the states, 'cause I don't think I can swing a trip to Mexico in the near future.

    Have fun, be safe, and if you aren't safe, you'd better tell us all about it on the blog. Just sensor it enough so that mom doesn't freak out too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinsey,

    What an adventure! I am very excited for you. My older brother lives most of the year in Tamazunchale and absolutely loves the people there. He is a 6'2" blond American, so truly a stand out. One of these days, I'd like to make it down to visit him. I look forward to continuing to read about your adventures. Buenos suerte!

    Karen (Kelly) - from your OBU past...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had no idea that you had this family history connection there! that is so sweet! you are gonna have an awesome experience! i am reading to catch up! yay!

    ReplyDelete